FREE TAX SERVICE INITIATIVE
United Way’s Free Tax Service Initiative is designed to help hardworking families in the Northwest Arkansas area who qualify with free tax preparation and financial literacy! We work to ensure financial eligibility for the Earned Income Tax Credit and other deductions available to disadvantaged families to maximize their funds. This program runs annually January through April.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is an in-person resource for individuals earning $54,000 or less. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. This program is operated by certified volunteers and allows our neighbors the opportunity to file and direct deposit their tax refund for free and ensure proper tax credits are utilized.
MyFreeTaxes.com can be used to file federal and state taxes in all 50 states for those earning $66,000 or less. You can log on 24/7 to myfreetaxes.com and file your taxes for FREE! Tax filers received $5.8 million back in state and federal returns in 2017. Of the tax refunds prepared, $1.6 million went back to hardworking families through the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). EITC is the largest anti-poverty program in the United States.
Free Tax Services Info
Check back soon for 2020 locations
Check back soon for 2020 locations
Check back soon for 2020 locations.
You MUST bring the following information with you to your appointment:
- Proof of identification – Valid State or Federal Picture ID
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security card. If you do not have an SSN for you or a dependent, you should complete Form SS-5, Social Security Number Application. This form should be submitted to the nearest Social Security Administration Office.
If you or your dependent is not eligible to get a Social Security Number, you may need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
4,700 hardworking individuals and families in Northwest Arkansas filed their taxes through our Free Tax Service Initiative in 2018.
Northwest Arkansas individuals and families received over $5.9 million in tax refunds in 2018. Tax filers also saved more than $826,000 in tax fees resulting in an economic impact of $6.1 million in our community.
These individuals and families received over $1.8 million from the Earned Income Tax Credit in 2018.