Arkansas Workers May Qualify for Federal Tax Credit

Lowell, ARK. – United Way of Northwest Arkansas wants to make life a little easier for Arkansas workers by alerting them about a special tax credit that can put money in their pockets.

“EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit) is a tax benefit for working people and their families and it allows more dollars to flow into our community. It’s money that workers can use for groceries, rent, utilities and other bills” said Alexa McGriff, United Way NWA’s Manager of Marketing & Communications. “We want workers who may qualify for EITC to have all the information they need to get the EITC and get it right.”

Join the thousands of workers in Arkansas who received the EITC. Last year, the credit returned over $771 million dollars to over 302,000 Arkansas workers. The amount of EITC varies by income, family size and your filing status. It can mean up to $496 in EITC for people without a qualifying child, and up to $6,143 for those with three or more qualifying children. On average, EITC adds $2,400 to refunds.

If you qualify for EITC, you must file a tax return, even if you have no tax to pay, to claim the credit. With the exception of some who receive certain disability income, you must work for someone, or run your own business or farm to qualify for EITC. Workers who made less than $52,427 should see if they qualify for EITC using the EITC Assistant tool at
Find out if you are eligible using the EITC Assistant; it’s available in both English and Spanish. The Assistant helps you:
• find your filing status,
• find out if you have a qualifying child or children,
• verify if you are eligible for EITC, and
• estimate the amount of your credit.

If you make less than $58,000, you qualify for free tax return preparation through volunteer sites.

IRS-certified volunteers prepare your tax return and find out if you qualify for EITC and other refundable credits. To find a location for free tax return preparation near you, or call 2-1-1.

But, make sure you get the right amount of credit due you. If you have someone prepare your return, make sure to bring the following to your preparer:
• A valid driver’s license or other photo id card
• Social security cards, a social security number (SSN) verification letter or the ITIN, Individual Taxpayer Identifying Number, for all persons listed on the return
• Birth dates for all persons listed on return
• All income statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, unemployment, and other statements, such as pensions, stocks, interest and any documents showing taxes withheld. If you run a business or farm, records of all income earned.
• All records of expenses, such as tuition, mortgage interest or real estate taxes. And, if you run a business or farm, records of all related expenses.
• Copies of last year’s state and federal tax returns, if available
• Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund
• Dependent child care information: name and address of who you paid and either the caretaker’s SSN or other tax identification number
• Both spouses to sign forms to e-file a joint tax return

For more information, visit or call Alexa McGriff, Manager of Marketing & Communications, at 479-303-4410.